22 November 2007

Thanksgiving 2007

This year's meal and fellowship came off really well! The menu was as follows:

Breast of Turkey
Stove Top Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes
Sweet Potato Brulee
Steamed Peas
Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
Baked Potato Soup (Appetizer)
Martinelli's Sparkling Cider
Riesling
Apple Cider
Chocolate Pecan Pie

There were just three of us, and we had enough food for at least 8. Typical Krista-cooking.

So, last night, Amy came up from Atlanta and she assisted me in Thanksgiving Eve food prep. We bustled around the kitchen, me cooking and her mostly cleaning up after me. That was nice, haha, for a change. Yay for a sous chef! I roasted the turkey breast last night, doing exactly what Joy of Cooking said: salt and pepper inside and out, then baste with melted butter. I am my mother's daughter, though, and also onion-powdered it. I baked it in the turkey roaster for 15 minutes a pound, tested the temperature with the meat thermometer, and it was at the right temp, so I set it aside and let it rest while I did other things. When I did carve it up, I put it into a dish, covered the meat with chicken stock, and threw it into the fridge.

Today we woke up in time for the parade, which Ian loved watching, and munched on Mom Work's Monkey Bread, and Ian wanted to make scones--lots of carbs for breakfast! I puttered some more for the turkey dinner, and had things going well--and an hour before dinner I started really, really working.

Everything came out well at the same time--dinner was at 2:05 and the potatoes were creamy, the peas were firm and yummy (not overcooked! yay), the turkey was moist, the Crescent Rolls were warm and tender...aaaah.

And a note about the Sweet Potato Brulee...I was trying to make Sweet Potato Casserole but without the marshmallows (marshmallows on sweet potatoes are a little creepy to me and non-yummy) and the butter-pecan-brown sugar crust was not cooking and I was out of time...so I turned on the broiler and let it go, checking it frequently to make sure it didn't burn. I took it out when it looked toasty, and by the time it got served on the table, the sugary top became caramelized like creme brulee--it was Sweet Potato Brulee and it was not on purpose! Yay!

Well, sisters and brothers-in-law and parents and friends...I missed you. But we had a nice day.

No comments: