10 November 2007

Mourning

I read somewhere that the holiday season has the highest incidences of suicide. While I am happy and cared for during this time, someone very near you may be suffering loneliness, depression, discouragement. Look for them, and pray for the Lord to open your eyes to them. Be comforting and comfortable. Pray for them.

RealSimple has an article about mourning the loss of your loved one. It's got a useful list for what to do when you need to mourn.
What To Do When You Need to Mourn:
1. Be true to your convictions. We all believed--and still do--that we never really lost Jay, that the love we shared with him could never be taken away. That was our conviction. We said it out loud and lived it every day.

2. Shift your attention to others whenever possible. My mother helped us live up to what we felt were Jay's high expectations by constantly reminding us that he wouldn't want the corners of our mouths to turn down. That was how she coped: by focusing on us.

3. Talk about the person you miss every chance you get. Stay close--not just now but from now on--to the other people who loved him or her. Remember the good times as well as the poignant moments. Celebrate the person's life and his or her role in your life.

4. Write to him or her. Or write about him or her. Writing helps you honor the person and honor your relationship. It gives you a change to say the things your always wanted to express what went unsaid. Now you have that chance again. Try it. Pick up a pen...and...get started. I promise that, as you write, you'll realize, as I did, that nothing is ever lost and that the love you shared will hold you together.

At a loss for words? Here are some things to think about before you begin.
I'll never forget the time we...
I wish I'd told you...
I really miss the way you...
You'll never believe this, but...
If you were still here, I imagine right now you'd be...
If you were still here, I imagine I might be...

Blanke, Gail. "Remembering a Lost Loved One." Real Simple November 2007.

No comments: