06 December 2007

Commentary on Holiday Music

I'm a little tired of the saccharine nature of the Holiday Music. I understand that the secular songs are nostalgic for a lot of people, but I'm tired of chestnuts roasting (pop!pop!pop!), sleigh bells jingling (ring-ting-tingling too), presents on the tree (if the fates allow), and so on, and so on, and so on.

I make an effort to listen to the good music--that is, the hymns. But I've noticed that it's the same few hymns that are played, almost to the exclusion of all the others: Joy to the World, Hark! the Herald Angels Sing, Silent Night, O Come all Ye Faithful, and the occasional Away in a Manger. These are all good hymns, but I miss all the other hymns that are also good. I guess these few hymns are also nostalgic and background-y. Nonetheless, I intend to keep listening to the words of those hymns. At least the saccharine is mixed with real sugar, and it might do me some good.

1 comment:

The Mama of the House said...

Last Christmas Steve bought me a subscription to XM Radio for the house and they have a fabulous station that plays classical Christmas music. Mostly, they play the hymns and Handel's Messiah, and so many beautiful tunes that I've listened to it almost exclusively.